If you are engaged in the business of transporting goods from roads and you happen to reside in parts of the UK, Britain, and Northern Ireland, then here is what you need to know to get your goods transferred through customs. The UK uses the Goods Vehicle Movement Service and for ensuring uninterrupted transportation, it is necessary to register for the same.
Other countries that have Goods Vehicle Movement Service. HMRC is given the responsibility and authority to ensure that the right duties are carried out and are effected at the correct times and customs controls assure that this happens. They also ensure safeguarding the UK businesses and its consumers so as to avoid unfavorable trade situations between the trade operations of the EU and the UK.
Service availability of GVMS (Goods Vehicle Movement Service)
Here is what you get with the Goods Vehicle Movement Service or GVMS:
- Goods to be subjected to pre-lodged declarations where the person doing the task of moving or transporting the goods have to show one reference at the frontier for ensuring they are pre-lodged.
- Linking the movement and transportation of goods to the point of declaration. It simply means the goods are to have automatic arrival and departure in the various systems of HMRC in the shortest time possible.
- It will also inform the users in the meantime as and when their inbound goods have been recognized and cleared by the HMRC systems as soon as they arrive in the UK.
The haulers registering for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) can now get a reference in form of GMR (Goods Movement Reference) from December 23, 2020. The information regarding the same including the links and the details of GMR has also been circulated for the application process.
By January 01, 2021, a GMR is needed in order to move goods freely to and from:
The EU and Britain
Britain to Northern Ireland
GMR is also required for moving goods from Northern Ireland to Britain for instance in case of transit movements. The carriers of goods require the GMR from the haulers as a reference when it comes to the arrival and the crossing of goods from certain routes. Empty vehicles or vehicles with a small number of goods are also subjected to showcase this requirement of GMR.
For ensuring that you have GMR, the software users will have to get a reference number for showing or proving that the declarations are either pre-lodged or are not required in the first place in order to move goods. This is essential for all goods moving in a vehicle by making a crossing on a route recognized as the GVMS route.
The users will have to identify the vehicle as one or more unique reference number will be given for their identification of the goods they are carrying.
The reference number may be comprised of:
- Transit Accompanying Document MRNs for goods moving through Transit route
- ERNs for goods declared into CHIEF
- MRNs for goods declared into CDS
- DUCR for goods announce for export into CDS/CHIEF
- An EORI for goods where the trader has the authority to make declarations in records.
- ATA Carnet numbers
- TIR Carnet numbers
The references including the things mentioned above and all other Safety and Security declarations references have to be linked with the one Goods Movement Record for all and each good that vehicle is carrying and are crossing the border of the GVAM route. This is also applicable in the case of unaccompanied traders.
For registering for GVMS, the haulers have two options:
- through online service
- through a direct link sent by the software used for GVMS
Upon receiving this information HMRC will provide a reference for Goods Movement Reference that can be used by the vehicle transporting the goods for a single crossing.
If you want more information about Brexit and If you want to the registration process in the United Kingdom. you can visit the site and goods results about the trust registration service in uk.